Thursday, September 29, 2011

34 Weeks...My Fall...

Well I skipped Week 33, mostly because I don't have enough interesting things to share on a weekly basis. I probably would not have much to share this week either if I were not so clutzy.

So as you probably already saw on my status, I had a little accident on Sunday afternoon. My grandma recently moved into a retirement home due to some medical issues. My Mom came from Riverside to go visit her in Downey so I decided to meet her there to see my Grandma and to have lunch with my Mom. After lunch, we stopped by my Aunt and Uncle's house for a little while.  My Mom and I had taken separate cars there but I was busy talking to my cousins about baby stuff and didn't realize that my mom had already gone to the car. As I was walking out of my Aunt & Uncle's house, my Mom started calling my cell phone because we really hadn't said goodbye to each other. Well I was still blabbing on, trying to answer the phone, trying to look for my keys and walking down some steps (basically not paying attention) when I fell face forward down the steps and into some plants that were right in front of me. I had so many things in my hands that I wasn't even able to brace myself for the fall. I was down for what felt like a long time even though I really wasn't because my family came to pick me up pretty much immediately. I had managed to answer the phone in the process of falling because my Mom heard everything and came running back from the car. The problem was that I could not get up. My left knee was completely scrapped up and I could not move my right ankle at all.

This all probably would have been much less scary had I not been pregnant. I've already realized everyone cares more about this baby than about me lol...but again...I'm totally okay with it. I didn't think I had hit my stomach but I couldn't be sure since it all happened so quickly. Apparently I scared the heck out of everyone because the next thing I knew, my Uncle was calling the paramedics (who got there extremely quickly), my cousin was crying, and my Mom was on the phone with John (who raced to the hospital from work, breaking all sorts of traffic laws I'm sure), and then she called my sister (who apparently cried as well). Again, I'm pretty sure nobody would have cried for me alone lol...

Anyway, the paramedics get there and check all my vitals. My blood pressure had gone a litte high but I think it was mostly because of the scare because by the time I got to the hospital and they took it again, it was back to normal. Then they took me in the ambulance to the hospital. It felt like we were there forever, even though they gave me a room and a bed right away. My ankle was hurting pretty badly and for some reason, nobody would clean up my scrape (which was bleeding, burning & dirty) until the doctor looked at it, but I just wanted them to hurry up and check the baby. I guess the only positive thing was that I got an additional ultrasound I wasn't expecting. She was doing just fine (her little face tucked into her favorite place-my right hip & hiding her face). John was a little disappointed because they have some dumb hospital policy where only the patient could be in the room so he didn't get to see the baby but he was right outside and was able to hear that her heart was beating nice and loud.

Then we waited some more and they wanted to do an xray on my ankle. I refused it at first but then the ER doctor came in and reassured me that it was safe because 1) I am so close to the end that the baby is already fully formed, 2) They would put a shield over my stomach, 3) My ankle is nowhere near my stomach. 4) There was no other way to determine if I had broken my ankle or not.

Finally, the results came back and luckily my ankle is not broken, just sprained. They gave me crutches that I have not been able to learn to use. I probably would not be able to use these anyway because that would require coordination and I have none, however, being this pregnant makes my center of gravity totally off and it is nearly impossible to use them. Thankfully, my boss allowed me to work from home all week so the furthest I've had to walk was to the restroom and to the kitchen. I am starting to get cabin fever though...I hadn't seen another human being other than John in several days and he's been gone at work for most of the last couple of days. I was so happy when my mom came to check on me today. I didn't want her to leave.

Here is a lovely picture of what it looked like a couple of days ago. Yup...kinda gross with the bruising and swelling but it's starting to get better...I'm not even going to post a picture of the scrape, I figured this was gross enough for one blog. (Sidenote: My feet don't normally look that bad lol)





Oh and here is a picture of the plant that I truly credit for making sure Baby Lauren didn't get hurt...I think the fluffiness that WAS there (no longer is because I smashed it) prevented my tummy from hitting the ground.


Anyway, the only other exciting thing that happened this week is that I officially scheduled my Maternity leave. I am only taking 1 week off before the due date because I think I'll go crazy at home impatiently waiting for her. But because we have every other Friday off, my last official day is 4 weeks from today! I cannot believe how close it is! I am also extremely excited because I will have a full 13 weeks off with her once she is here! John also gets bonding leave and he'll be home with us for the first 8 weeks after she is born (which means he will be off for the holidays! Yay!) Hopefully we don't kill each other lol...I don't think we've ever spent THAT much time together!

Next week should be fun. We have a class scheduled at the hospital on Monday night and then on Wednesday I have my last offical ultrasound to make sure the baby is in position (as of Sunday she was still head down which is nice of her lol). The doctor told me that the chances of babies flipping (in either direction) after 35 weeks are very low because they don't have much room left anymore. They will also give me an estimate of her weight. I am really hoping for a normal size/weight baby, I don't think I can handle a large one since I already know she is going to have her Daddy's large head lol. Anyway, until then...thanks for reading!

No comments: