Wednesday, August 10, 2011

27 Weeks & Belly Photo

So this past weekend was again pretty much filled with Baby stuff. On Friday, I had my regular checkup with the doctor and my glucose test to check if I have Gestational Diabetes. The doctor said everything is going well, I was measuring right on target, blood pressure good, and baby's heartbeat is strong. I took the glucose drink earlier that morning and then an hour later they took my blood. I was a little nervous about this test for a couple of reasons. First, I had heard the drink is absolutely awful and second, I really didn't want to end up with Gestational Diabetes. Well, I must have a super sweet tooth or something, because although I can't say the drink tasted good, I really didn't think it was that bad. It just tasted like flat orange soda.


Today I found out that I don't have Gestational Diabetes! Yay! I guess I was worried for absolutely no reason. I asked the doctor when she would have the results and she said Tuesday and that with her "no news is good news" so that if I didn't hear from her by Wednesday, that I was in the clear. She also said that if I really needed to know a straight answer, that I could call the office on Wednesday....Well I am kind of one of those "need to know" type of people lol...(come on, we had an ultrasound at 14 weeks because I "needed to know" the sex of the baby). So I called first thing this morning and they said everything came back normal, so I passed!

After the appointment, John and I went to pre-register at the hospital. I can't believe we are close enough to actually get to do this! I can see why they want you to do this ahead of time though, it took a lot longer than we had expected and it is not something I’d want to be doing on delivery day. We didn't get to see too much of the hospital, we will have to wait for our tour this coming Sunday to do that, however, what we did see was really nice and I do like the free Valet Parking they offer. It will be nice and convenient for our family and friends come to see the baby.


Then Saturday morning, I went to an Infant/Child CPR class that is offered through the hospital. I have to admit that John made me take this class. I have taken a CPR class before and I could not remember anything I learned from it. I told John that if something were happening to our baby, I would be too panicked to remember anything I learned anyway. Also, John is already certified through work and he thought it was pointless to pay the extra money for him to go again so I had to go by myself. He guilted me into taking it by saying “If something were to happen and you couldn’t do anything about it, you would feel really bad knowing you could have taken the class.” So needless to say, I took the class and I am really glad that I did. They really simplified the techniques and I actually think I could do something about it if I needed to.


I did tell John that he was going to all future classes with me though even if he knew all about the topic (luckily I am pretty sure John is not an expert on childbirth, breastfeeding or infant care basics). It was pretty much all expectant couples in the class with the exception of one other pregnant woman, and another girl who was taking the class for her childcare job. I felt kinda like the "single pregnant girl." It doesn't help that I already look so young and that this whole pregnancy I've been concerned that strangers think I'm "16 & pregnant". I am so ridiculous that I kept making my left hand visible at any possible point in time to make sure people saw my wedding ring…lol…I know...I'm kind of crazy and obviously overly concerned about what people are thinking of me.

This weekend was also exciting because we received our first gift in the mail. It was shipped to our house and it was the very cute high chair that we registered for! We were totally not expecting that so it was a fun surprise! We are also so grateful because (like I’m sure most mom’s-to-be do), I peaked at the registry and people have already bought the baby some very necessary items like the stroller, car seat and bassinet! I actually have a really funny story about the car seat. If you don’t already know, pregnant women are known to have some crazy dreams. I have been having some pretty weird ones lately (including one where my parent’s dogs were being shipped on an airplane from New York to L.A. in those clear plastic food containers they give you to take leftovers home at restaurants). I woke up from that one panicked that they were not alive when they arrived. Plastic containers with no air holes do not seem very practical for living things that rely on oxygen. Anyway…back on topic lol.. I have also had 2 separate dreams where we are driving around with me holding the baby in my arms because we had no car seat. I’m not sure why this was causing me such anxiety. I already knew that hospitals don’t let you leave without a properly installed car seat and I also knew that if nobody bought us the car seat, we would buy it ourselves; however, this was still causing me concern for some reason. I guess you don’t get to be real rational when it comes to pregnancy dreams. Well Friday morning, I wake up and tell John about my second crazy car seat dream. Literally about 1 hour later, I happened to look at the registry and the car seat had been purchased! So I am very grateful to whoever did purchase that, I can sleep so much more soundly now lol. Anyway, it really is awesome to have such wonderful friends and family!


On a completely different note, I just wanted to share a cute story…John and I both have these pregnancy apps on our phones that tell us how much the baby weighs, her length and interesting things about her development each week. Two or three weeks ago, we read that if you put a flashlight up to your belly, that the baby can now see it. We have been meaning to try it but kept forgetting. So Monday night, we were lying in bed (this is usually the time when John starts talking to her because she is the most active) and we remembered about the flashlight. We were both too lazy to go downstairs and get one though so John downloaded the flashlight app on his phone (if anyone has seen this, you know it is really bright, like a real flashlight). So John put his phone up to my stomach and she immediately kicked it off! It was so funny and cute! I guess we bothered her. We probably won’t be doing it again because I don’t want to bug her or hurt her eyes but it was definitely a fun little memory for us.


Finally, I've been kind of avoiding posting the bump photo for quite some time because I’m a little (well, a lot) self conscious, but due to the fact that everyone keeps asking me to I guess I will post it here and end this week’s blog with this.


Taken yesterday at exactly 27 weeks:



No comments: